Tuesday, January 15, 2008
The Winston County Genealogical Society met for the first time at the Winston County Archives in Double Springs at 6:30 P.M.
- Minutes from the last meeting were read and approved.
II. Treasurerís Report:
- Checking Account: $1,079.21
- $95 in deposits was made. 2 checks were written: $36 for post office box and one for postage.
III. Old Business:
- For the 2008 officers, Ronald nominated that all officers and board members remain the same. President: Diane Miller; Vice-President: Treva Hood; Recording Secretary: Peter J. Gossett; Treasurer/Corresponding Secretary: Carolyn Hunter; and Board Members: Ronald Jackson, Darryal Jackson, and Carolyn Hunter. The motion carried.
- For newsletter guidelines, Joann will use her judgement concerning the pages and content.
- The trip to the rock house will be January 26, 2008, at 10:30 A.M., meeting at Concord Church in Natural Bridge. If the weather is bad, the trip will be rescheduled for February. Wear orange and bring a snack and water.
- The name Winston County will be 150 years old this year, making it a sesquicentennial. The new heritage book is also beginning to take shape. There will be a meeting with the planners on February 12, 2008, at 4:00 meeting at the old library to make brochures. It will presale for $50. We all need to submit stories. Rick Harris has instigated this, and we have representatives from all towns. Pioneer stories get one picture and one thousand words (pre-1890). The book will be out by December 2008.
IV. New Business/Upcoming Events:
- Diane sent out letters to all members about attendance and accomplishments.
- Dues are due. The president made a motion that we need to raise the dues. The motion carried. Starting October 1, 2008, dues will be $20. The price for each additional family member will remain the same, $5.00.
- Sandy and Treva went to a committee workshop concerning the archives building. The name of the building is officially Winston County Archives. A plaque is being considered for Dr. Blake. Open house will be January 25, 2008, from 4:00 to 7:00 P.M. Sandy was appointed chairperson to see what all comes into the archives. She wants us to make a list of items; we need to e-mail ideas to Treva. Metal shelving is being looked at.
- January 22, 2008, is the Houston Jail dedication, from 11:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M.
- Member present: 12
- Visitors present: 0