Tuesday, March 18, 2008
The Winston County Genealogical Society met at the Winston County Archives.
- Minutes from the last meeting were read and approved.
II. Treasurerís Report:
- Checking Account: $1,419.77
- Deposits: $50.00; Expenses: $19.44 for WCGS Stamp
III. Old Business:
- The Bald Rock trip on February 23 was a success and everyone had a great time.
- Robin Sterling photographed the 1908, 1915, and 1918 newspapers. Bob Davis at Wallace State will microfilm for us, and Sheila okayed this.
- The society will not have to buy the computer, as it will be donated to us.
- A guideline for what will be brought into the archives has been created.
- Jerry Jackson suggested having computers built specific to our needs. The Haleyville Historical Society will help us with this.
- Dianne talked to the lawyers about incorporation. One suggested that we go as an extension of the Haleyville Historical Society under their umbrella for tax exemption purposes. Dianne will be in touch with Jerry Jackson, as he is thinking of different angles for us.
IV. New Business/Upcoming Events:
- Don Umphrey will let us sell his books, Southerners in Blue, at the June 150th celebration. P.J. will contact him concerning this.
- Sandy has raised over $1,000 for our camera and lens and has done an excellent job for the archives. The shelving is being built, and we might have them by our next meeting. About 285 books have been cleaned so far. The Double Springs Study Club is having landscaping done out front. Anything the society brings into the archives will remain with the society.
- Darryal and Ronald made a motion that the society purchase one new heritage book due out by the end of this year. P.J. seconded, and the motion carried.
- The Alabama Cemetery Preservation Alliance will have a cemetery preservation meeting on March 28, 2008, in Arley.
- Looking at the old newspapers.
- Member present: 15
- Visitors present: 3