Tuesday, April 15, 2008
The Winston County Genealogical Society met at the Winston County Archives.
- Minutes from the last meeting were read and approved.
II. Treasurer’s Report:
- Checking Account: $1,366.23
- Deposits: $82.00; Expenses: $104.70 for newsletter printing and $30.78 for postage
III. Old Business:
- For our non-profit status, Rick Harris suggested we got this for ourselves. It will cost approximately $50 for filing with the probate judge, and the federal will have to be done with a certified accountant. Filing for the state has already been done.
- Wakefield’s in Double Springs has given us a price on the two computers. The Haleyville Historical Society will donate money, and the society can match it if the Haleyville group cannot. The price is $1,741.82 plus 5% off.
- Treva brought guidelines for "phase 1," stating that the society retains ownership of records brought into the archives.
- We might have shelving before the next meeting.
- 443 books have been cleaned!
- Don Umphrey stated that Glennis Posey will be selling his books at the upcoming celebration in June, and he felt like that two organizations should not compete.
IV. New Business/Upcoming Events:
- Tom Turley and Linda Overman came from the Alabama Department of Archives and History on April 14th. They decided that only two books plus all that have been wet and currently isolated on the shelves need to be destroyed. P.J. made a motion that Treva and Dianne purchase materials for other book repair and preservation. Darryal seconded, and the motion carried. Newspapers exists at the archives from 1918 to 2004 except 1936 and 1978.
- The Wisconsin Historical Society has requested a sample of our newsletters. Darryal will send one by mail.
- The Alabama Cemetery Preservation Alliance will speak at the next Haleyville Historical Society meeting Monday night. Darryal gave a report of the ACPA meeting in March. There is a new department for repairing different types of tombstones.
- Organizing newspapers.
- Member present: 13
- Visitors present: 0